The management and regulations concerning spillage to the environment are growing tighter each day and it is imperative for everybody handling products likely to spill to observe caution. To avoid too much struggle with the technical details, engaging a spill kit service provider is advisable and it also allows you to concentrate with the core tasks of the organization. Use of expert providers goes a long way in ensuring proper spills prevention, containment and adherence to the regulations.
Factors to Consider In Choosing Spill Kits
Several considerations are important in choosing the type of spill kits to utilize. These include:
- Liquids or other products at the facility. The important element here is to determine whether the product is corrosive or non-corrosive. This helps the user to determine the type of kit they need to use in case a spillage occurs. Available kits are classified between oil spills, general purpose kits and chemical kits. A fuel spill kit is used in the containment of petroleum products both on land and at sea while general purpose kits are used to handle a wide range of non-corrosive liquids. A Chemical spill kit or hazchem spill kit is used on corrosive spills such as acids and oxidizing agents.
- Probable spill volume. The volume of the largest container is a good indicator of the type of kit to use and even the size. If you have 100 gallons of liquid in volume, the corresponding kit should handle this volume.
- Storage and usage considerations are also important. You may need to judge whether the kit will be stationery or easily movable. Also check whether it will be used in interior or exterior places. A good spill kit service provider guides you through this selection process and ensures that you make the right choices.
Storage Considerations of Kits
It is sometimes challenging to determine how to position these kits. Observation of due diligence is important while choosing a storage site and some probable places include;
- Fuel dispensing points. Due to the high probability of spills, a kit near this point also prevents contamination of water ways and storm drains.
- Loading and offloading docks. These are extremely active, high-traffic areas and there are high chances of abrasions leading to spills, therefore an appropriate location for a kit.
- Proximity to storage vessels. Though they are relatively safe, pipe leakage can cause a serious contamination problem and having a kit nearby can prevent serious contamination.
- Warehouses and workshops. Engineering workshops, vehicle repairs can have oil and petroleum leakages and you must have a system of containing occasional spills.
These are apparatus used to prevent contamination to land or water when a spill occurs. The basic idea is to put containers with the product inside another larger vessel so when a leakage or spill occurs, it does not come in contact with the soil or water. Spill kit service providers offer guidance or cases where secondary containment can be done. Absorb environmental solutions have specialized spill kit solutions and offer great guidance in spills management.